SEA mediators equipped with mediation tools and soft skills in the South-East Asia IP Mediation Workshop
During the EUIPO IP Mediation Conference 2019, the EUIPO Boards of Appeal, the EUIPO International Cooperation and Legal Affairs Department, IP Key SEA, and SEA national IP office representatives met for the cooperation meeting. IP Key SEA had been working on the outcomes of the meeting and organised the South-East Asia IP Mediation Workshop on 27 May and 18 June 2020. The workshop consisted of a webinar in which EUIPO mediation experts presented their best mediation practices, practical exercise on communication skills, and global trends in IP mediation. It also consisted of a virtual conference during which the mediation officials from the SEA IP offices exchanged views and insights on a case study involving trade marks and designs.
After the workshop, the participating mediation officials were equipped with mediation tools and soft skills considered necessary in resolving disputes and knowledge on the legal framework of other SEA countries and the EU. The mediators’ all-round expertise also ensured mediation mechanisms in the SEA countries were in place and can serve as an alternative to IPR litigation.
Watch these videos related with this activity:
The Importance of IP Mediation: Advantages and Limitations
The Role of the Mediator
EU Mediation Directive and the EUIPO Boards of Appeal ADR Service
Mediation process, Persons Involved, and Information Disclosure
See the PPT presentations made under this activity:
- Presentation 1 - Sven Stürmann, EUIPO - The Importance of IP Mediation: Advantages and Limitations [PDF - ENG] [0.7MB]
- Presentation 2 - Sven Stürmann, EUIPO - The Important Role of the Mediator - [PDF - ENG] [0.4MB]
- Presentation 3 - Gordon Humphreys, EUIPO - EU Mediation Directive and the EUIPO Boards of Appeal ADR Service [PDF - ENG] [0.8MB]
- Presentation 4 - Gordon Humphreys, EUIPO - Mediation Process, Persons Involved, and Information Disclosure [PDF - ENG] [0.6MB]
- Presentation 5 - Sven Stürmann and Gordon Humphreys, EUIPO - Case Study on IP Mediation [PDF - ENG] [0.6MB]