Webinar Series on Plant Variety Protection
Plant variety protection and accession to the International Convention for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants (UPOV 1991) are important elements of trade agreements negotiated by the EU. Over the first years of implementation of the IP Key SEA project, several activities were organized on plant variety protection in collaboration with the Community Plant Variety Office (CPVO) and with the cooperation of the UPOV Office, in order to promote a better understanding of the benefits of strong plant variety protection and of UPOV 1991 accession.
Building on this, in 2020 the IP Key SEA project organised a Webinar Series on Plant Variety Protection, in collaboration with the Community Plant Variety Office (CPVO). The webinars offered the opportunity to present and discuss selected topics of interest on Plant Variety Protection and UPOV 1991 Membership, from the Food Security and Economic Development angle, in the context of Climate Change. In addition, the webinars also brought in the perspectives of Farmers and Plant Breeders in the EU, as well as from selected countries in the South-East Asia region.
The webinar series were held on the 12, 13, & 23 November 2020. On November 12 and 13 presentations were followed by a question-and-answer session, while on November 23, a panel discussion with all the speakers closed the Series.
- Yolanda Huerta - Benefits of Plant Variety Protection and UPOV 1991 Membership to Food Security and Economic Development in the Context of Climate Change [PDF - 3.2MB] [EN]
- Martin Ekvad - Impact of Plant Variety Protection and UPOV 1991 to Farmers and Plant Breeders in the EU [PDF - 1MB] [EN]
- Nguyen Thanh Minh - The Benefits of UPOV 1991 Accession to Vietnamese Farmers and Plant Breeders [PDF - 3MB] [EN]
- Harry Iwema - The Importance of the UPOV System for Breeders [PDF - 12MB] [EN]
- Erizal Jamal - The PVP System of Indonesia: Plans for the Future [PDF - 1.5MB] [EN]