With IP Key China’s continuous commitment, the cooperation between the EU and China on Plant Variety Protection (PVP) has advanced in recent years. Proper protection for plant varieties in the Chinese market not only benefits the breeders, farmers, and producers but also serves end consumers and citizens. European Union breeders show an increasing interest to invest in China and are the first foreign applicants in numbers for many species.
Various PVP activities and trainings are organised by IP Key China since 2017 with a view to increase exchanges and improve the expertise of Chinese interested stakeholders, including:
- Seminar in China on Designing and Conducting Distinctness, Uniformity and Stability (DUS) Trials in Vegetables and Ornamentals with the Development Center of Science and Technology of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs (DCST, MARA) and the Plant Variety Right Protection Office of the National Forestry and Grassland Administration (PVPO, NFGA) of China (September 2018, Shanghai China)
- Seminar on the International Cooperation on the "Take over" of DUS Technical Reports and on the Implementation of Farm Saved Seeds and Essentially Derived Varieties (FSS and EDV) with CPVO, MARA, NFGA, and UPOV (April 2019, Beijing China)
- Seminar on the Plant Variety Rights Enforcement with CPVO, MARA, and NFGA (November 2020, Online)
- Legislation Seminar on Plant Variety Rights Amendment with CPVO, DCST-MARA, PVPO-NFGA (May 2022, Online)
- Plant Variety Protection Awareness Raising Seminar with CPVO, MARA, NFGA (November 2021, Online)
- Seminar on the Latest Legislative Developments with CPVO, UPOV, MARA, NFGA (May 2022, Online)
- Training of Chinese Experts at the Community Plant Variety Office (CPVO) (June 2018, Europe: Angers France, Geneva Switzerland)
- Trainings for Chinese Experts in the EU on the Examination of Applications for Plant Variety Rights (From June to September 2019, Europe: France, Germany, Holland)
- Training by CPVO on the implementation of the Quality Audit System in Examination Offices of the EU (October 2019, Nanjing, Kunming China)
- Online technical training of PVRs for Chinese experts (October 2020, Online)
- Plant Variety Rights Online Technical Training (November 2021, Online)
IP Key China will continue to strengthen the PVP cooperation between the EU and China and support the implementation of the Administrative Agreement on Trilateral Cooperation between CPVO, DCST-MARA, and STDC-NFGA (2021-2025). The project will also closely monitor the implementation of the recent Seed Law entered into force in 2022 and continue putting its best efforts into streamlining PVP application procedure, training activities, and exchange of experiences with PVR administration, consolidating DUS examination, and exploring and sharing enforcement-related practices.
For further information on the project or general questions about PVP cooperation between the EU and China, please reach IPKEY-CN@euipo.europa.eu.