As a follow-up to the Webinar Series on Geographical Indications (GIs) in July 2020, the IP Key SEA organised a third webinar on 25 November focusing on issues on the enforcement of GIs in SEA in the physical and online markets, including the need to for adequate enforcement mechanisms that support both GI owners and consumers. The IP Key SEA had partnered with the IP Offices of Singapore and Viet Nam as well as DG AGRI in delivering the webinar, with presentations on the sui generis system of GI protection in Singapore and the benefits under the EU-Viet Nam Free Trade Agreement (FTA).
During the webinar, Mr Benedetto Ballatore from ICQRF Department, the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Forestry Policies, Italy, provided an overview of the Italian experience in protecting and enforcing GIs and how it established a successful economic model. Ms Delphine Marie-Vivien from the Agricultural Research for Development (CIRAD), France, shared her insights on the protection and enforcement of GIs in South-East Asia and the legal enforcement by different authorities, including France, Viet Nam, Cambodia, and Singapore.
In addition, Ms Foo Wee Ying, Senior TM and GI Officer from the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS), presented the GI system in Singapore. Mr Nguyen Viet Ha, Policy Officer from IP Viet Nam, and Mr Nuno Vicente from DG AGRI discussed the benefits of the EU-Viet Nam FTA Provisions on GI.
The webinar was open to IP authorities, agriculture and trade officials, customs, and enforcement authorities and stakeholders in Singapore and Viet Nam, as well as those from Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, and Thailand.
- Benedetto Francesco Ballatore - Best Practices in the Enforcement of Geographical Indications (GIs) in the EU [PDF - 3.2MB] [EN]
- Delphine Marie-Vivien - Enforcement of GIs in SEA: The Need for Adequate Enforcement Mechanisms to Protect GI Owners and Consumers [PDF - 2MB] [EN]
- Foo Wee Ying - The Geographical Indications System in Singapore [PDF - 0.7MB] [EN]
- Nguyen Viet Ha - Benefits of the EU-Viet Nam FTA Provisions on GI [PDF - 0.5MB] [EN]
- Nuno Vicente - Benefits of the EU-Viet Nam FTA Provisions on GI [PDF - 0.9MB] [EN]